"I have nothing to wear to (insert particular occasion here)," said every other woman on this planet. But seriously, there's absolutely nothing in your closet to slip-on and go with? Hun, spare a moment to take a mental inventory of your wardrobe. Think about every single piece you currently own and tell me, how bad is the situation?
Because I've also been down this road much more than I'd like to admit, I've come up with a simple and straight-forward strategy in response to the "I have nothing to wear" dilemma. So ladies, stay with me.
Reflect on your wardrobe:
- Think about several items you haven't worn in a minute.
- Keep these in mind and think about the occasion you're dressing up for. Is it a work event? A casual outing? A night out with your girlfriends?
- What about weather conditions? Will it be hot, cold, mildly bearable?
- And lastly, ponder on how comfortable you'd like to be at your event. Are high heels required or would you be able to pull off your favorite pair of snug sneakers?
Now, which of the pieces you initially thought about fit your particular needs? It's all in the process of elimination! At this point, you should have around three to four items in mind which you'll proceed to mix, match, pair-up, and combine. See where I'm going with this? Before you know it, you'll have a stunning as-can-be outfit, utilizing pieces of clothing you hadn't worn for a while (brownie points because not a lot of people will recall you wearing them.)
Lastly, take a good look at your accessories drawer and select one or two jewelry staples to finish it off! When you think about it this way, it takes a lot of the pressure out of figuring out what you're going to wear. As for my outfit, I was heading to a warehouse party in Brooklyn last Friday and had no idea what to wear (typical). My thought process behind this one?
- I had an animal print crop-top from Forever 21, which I hadn't worn in ages.
- Because it was a warehouse party, I could be as casual and comfy as I wanted to be; the crop-top was perfect for the occasion.
- I was going to the event with my bf and thought of giving my outfit a 90's schoolgirl sort of twist, thus the modern-day Clueless pleated mini-skirt.
- Because I also wanted to be able to dance the night away, I brought in my white leather Converse.
- And lastly, I laid down a few accessories and opted for a simple set of gold jewelry. All set!
Amount spent on this setup? Nada. But for your convenience (and viewing pleasure), I've pieced together the following looks, which perfectly encompass my last minute 90's schoolgirl / warehouse-party outfit idea. And if you're a fan, you can shop the looks below!